The IDW Publishing panel at Baltimore Comic Con was moderated by Dirk Wood, and featured appearances by Thom Zahler, Timothy Truman, Andrew Griffith, Ron Marz, and Jamal Igle. Wood told us about the new titles coming out by IDW Publishing, and the creators who attended the panel discussed their works for us as well.
The first big announcement Dirk made was the new crossover stories that would be affecting IDW titles. Last year the theme was Infestation, but this year, Mars will be attacking! IDW is planning Mars Attacks crossovers for several of their main titles. There will be a total of 5 one shots debuting in January of 2013. During the panel Thom Zahler (of Love and Capes) pitched Dirk a My Little Pony and Mars Attacks crossover which we’re hoping will be made a reality.
Love and Capes by Thom Zahler – The current story arc of Love and Capes is called ‘What to Expect,’ and it tells the tale of Abby and Mark’s lives before their baby is born. Here is a video of Thom telling us more about the story:
Hawken – Hawken was co-authored by Timothy Truman and his son Benjamin Truman, and all of the artwork is also created by Tim. Hawken is a western meets horror crossover and Tim tells us that the idea for Hawken came about after he and his son vacationed in Arizona. All of the art is in black and white which was Tim’s choice and is different that anything he’s ever done before. A collected edition of Hawken will be available in November.
Judge Dredd – The newly rebooted Judge Dredd is being edited by Chris Ryall, written by Duane Swierczynsky, and illustrated by Nelson Daniel. The series is beginning in November of 2012 and each issue will be 18 pages, with a 6 page backup created by various artists and authors. Jim Starlin and Paul Gulacy, are two of the already confirmed talent that will be contributing to a 6 page backup. Dirk tells us that the new series will be very accessible to casual comics readers who are not too familiar with Dredd. They are not going to be a year one type story, but Dredd will be revamped with nods to the original series that longtime fans will enjoy. IDW will also be republishing classic Judge Dredd starting with Judge Dredd: The Complete Brian Bolland.
My Little Pony – Being written by Katie Cook and illustrated by Andy Price, My Little Pony is the newest title debuting that Dirk gets the most emails about. He admits that there were some skeptics in the office when the series was first announced, but he has no doubt that My Little Pony will be a big hit with fans. Dirk says that “the Bronies and the Pegasisters have spoken.” My Little Pony‘s first issue will have 6 main covers featuring each of the main ponies and many retailers will also have exclusive variant covers.
The Historians – Next up, Ron Marz and Jamal Igle made an appearance on the panel to discuss their new series debuting in March 2013 called The Historians. Jamal Igle also briefly touched upon his experience meeting Gene Simmons as he is also illustrating the upcoming KISS comic that IDW is publishing. Here is video of Ron telling us what to expect from The Historians:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles – The 2012 Annual which will be available in November and is being written by Tim Waltz and Kevin Eastman was originally supposed to be 48 pages. Dirk announced to us that it will actually be 60 pages! Waltz and Eastman have been writing such a great story and turning in about 10 pages a week, and the annual had to be expanded accordingly.
Joe Kubert’s Tarzan of the Apes: Artist’s Edition – IDW had been planning on releasing the artist edition of Kubert’s Tarzan for some time, but sadly, Kubert passed away before the book was completed. Other artists contributed to help complete the book. Timothy Truman, one of the contributors, tells us that 100% of the proceeds from the book will be donated to the Kubert family’s favorite charity in loving memory of Joe.
Transformers – Penciler Alex Milne joined the IDW panel to tell us about the Transformers: Robots in Disguise story arc that he is currently working on. Below is a video of what he had to tell us about the series:
Other IDW teaser news:
- Locke & Key: Omega begins in November and will be the last story arc that Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez are creating for the series. Dirk did assure us that that are planning on doing several more one shot stories for Locke & Key, and there will be a separate trade released collecting all of the one shots. Dirk also said that the rights for the Locke & Key pilot will revert back to Joe Hill very soon and there is a possibility that it may be shopped to other networks.
- Doctor Who – The series is being relaunched with a new #1 issue which is being penned by Andy Diggle and illustrated by Mark Buckingham. The Doctor Who annual will be released next week.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: HIVE – Star Trek is also being relaunched. The covers of the new story feature famous historical events invaded by Borg’s. Dirk’s favorite invasion involves the sailor kissing a woman in Times Square. Dirk also announced that there will most likely be a tie in series with the new Star Trek movie.
- True Blood will continue to be an ongoing series for IDW.
- Rocketeer will be getting a third anthology, and an annual. Dirk also said that if the Rocketeer movie gets greenlit, they will also likely do a tie in series.
- IDW will be printing more classic comic strips.
- G.I. Joe – Dirk could not make any official announcements at the panel, but in the next two to three weeks there will be some very big G.I. Joe news.
- Dirk ended the panel with a teaser image of a devil’s head and the caption SSBII, which is a new title being penned by Eric Powell. More news about SSBII will also be released in the coming weeks.